Carroll Gardens
Neighborhood Association

Points of Interest
Under Construction

Gowanus Canal 1867


The dredging of the Gowanus creek and swamp resulted in this important harbor facility. The canal attracted maritime and seagoing trading firms to Brooklyn for the first time and soon became the hub of Brooklyn's maritime commerce.

Carroll Street Bridge1888-1889


One of the oldest bridges in New York City, and the oldest of four retractile bridges remaining in the U.S., it was designated a City Landmark in 1987. In 1989 it was rebuilt to original specifications.

Carroll Park 1867


Brooklyn's third oldest park built was built in 1867. The nearly two-acre park occupies an entire city block. On September 10, 1993, after a nearly 20-year effort by local residents and elected officials to upgrade the park, a newly refurbished park was opened.

Carroll Gardens
Historic District


The surveyor, Richard Butts, planned the area with deep garden setbacks in 1846. The architecture is representative of the popular styles of the period: late Italianate, neo-Greco and Victorian Gothic.

John Rankin House 1840

This Greek Revival house, built by the merchant John Rankin, is now the F.G. Guido Funeral Home.

St. Paul's Church 1867-1884

Featuring a projecting triple portal, clustered columns and trefoil arches, the brownstone Gothic church was designed by Richard Michell Upjohn.

South Congregational Church 1851-1893

A splendid example of Romanesque Revival architecture, the church has been converted to apartments.

Brooklyn Public Library 1905

Designed in the Beaux-Art Classicism style by the architect William B. Tubby, it was the fifth Carnegie Branch built in Brooklyn.

President's Message

Points Of Interest

Service Guides and
General Information

Contact Us